11.02.2008

Unforgettable Birthday Cake

Thursday was my mom's birthday so Gracee and I decided to bake her a cake. We looked on Bettycrocker.com where they have short videos demonstrating how to make different cakes. Gracee wanted to make the train cake but I talked her into making the purse cake... So with the decision made we began to bake...
I didn't have the right pans so the cake turned out looking more like a bowling bag instead of a purse but Gracee and Emme were super excited anyway. Gracee wanted to keep it a surprise but when my mom got to our house Gracee was so excited she blurted out "Grandma, Grandma we made you a surprise cake, A PURSE CAKE!"
After we had dinner we decorated the cake...

It was all going good and looking pretty cute until I turned my back and something happened... I am not sure what but Gracee's arm flung into the cake. My mom tried to hold up the cake and at this point we were laughing so hard we were crying... Gracee and Emme weren't crying tears of laughter though they were truly upset.
The harder my mom and I laughed the more upset Emme got.
Once it started to crumble it just kept falling! (the funny little cake in front was a coin purse, it was a work in progress but got smashed before I could make it cute:)
So this is why my mom will never forget the birthday cake we made her... I haven't laughed that hard in awhile so maybe I should bake more often:)!

8 comments:

Jonathan said...

Ah... That was a good laugh. Poor little Emme, she looks so sad about the whole deal. Annie thinks she looks mad that everyone is laughing at all her hard work gone to waste.

Olivia said...

I love this! I'm truly sad I missed it. Can we recreate it for Emme's birthday? So glad you finally posted about it!!

Ashley said...

First: What a darling cake!
Second: Poor Emme, she looks truly heart broken.
Third: You are such a good mom to brave letting Gracee hold the batter bowl!

Marci said...

Bet it still tasted great!

Erin said...

Smashed or not it was a really cute cake! I love the picture of Emme crying...she looks so sad about the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

What a good memory! Poor Emme, though!

Cherish said...

That is quite the cake!!

rachel said...

that looks so cute! You are such a nice mom to let your kids help!